After reports that some U.S. diplomats based in China have experienced a mysterious illness, the U.S. State Department issued a second health alert that expanded to all of China on Friday.
The alert, coming from the U.S. Embassy in China, urged Americans to seek medical help for “unusual, unexplained physical symptoms or events, auditory or sensory phenomena, or other health concerns."
The previous alert only mentioned the southern Chinese city Guangzhou.
In 2016, unexplained health issues that began in Cuba. Symptoms included those related to concussion and mild traumatic brain injury, according the State Department.
China said it has found no information about the cause of such symptoms, according to the Associated Press.
Hua Chunying, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman, said Thursday at a news conference that the U.S. had not formally raised the matter with Beijing, the AP reported.
“If the U.S. makes formal contact with us, China will continue necessary investigations in an earnest and responsible manner and maintain close communication and cooperation with the U.S.,” Hua said.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in statement released Tuesday that the department established a task force last month “to direct a multi-agency response to the unexplained health incidents," according to Reuters.